Monday, August 3, 2009

Brazilian Jiujitsu.......burnout...pain is bad

Well, after being a white belt for nearly 2 years and the possibility of a promotion to the coveted blue belt for a couple months now with nothing materializing. After some quite hard work, effort, a messed up elbow from an armbar cranked too hard, competing in 4 tournaments, and a major infestation of ringworm on only me, it felt good to finally take my test to be considered for a promotion. I don't know if I passed or not yet as my instructor needs to get back to me because although almost achieved, there is a possibility of failure as nothing is guaranteed. My BJJ instructor does things differently as most instructors feel if you are ready, they hand the blue belt over to the well deserved student. My instructor has you take a test if he thinks you are ready for the next level. 

Testing consists of showing nearly every position you can think of. a short list including takedowns, submissions from mount, guard, side control, and back, escapes from mount, side, and back. sweeps from open, closed, and half guard, and escapes from numerous ways of joint manipulation and air/blood constriction. Sounds fun to know all this?

Me and my longtime training partner took it together and this examination took nearly 4 hours. To make this worse, taking an type of test when you are having a major crash from nearly 5 cups of light roast coffee in the morning  is not the greatest idea in any situation. Being a physical test, having literally pain on my ass that rates 9/10 isn't splendid. After a great day yesterday, my training partner misinterprets a sweep from our instructor and knees me in the ass right on the tailbone. It was like a homing missile meeting it's target. Although unintentional, I was in a world of hurt the entire time safeguarding my bottom like I just dropped the soap in a prison facility. Near the end of the 4 hour test, it was more of a mentally issued challenge as the gray matter in our heads became more and more fried from information overload. 

After my tail heals, it is ready to step it up to the next level. 

2 comments:

  1. Shop MMA Gadgets & Battle Gadgets, Jiu Jitsu Gi and MMA Barbados & Protection safety safety gloves. We offer less costly distribution and low costs on all our devices & clothing!

    Buy Your Product storm gi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this useful info. Check it on: Danaher Death Squad

    ReplyDelete